Mold Effects on Pets

As you now know, mold can have serious health effects on people.  Unfortunately, your pet may experience even more severe health symptoms than you, due to its often weaker and less advanced immune systems.  In other words, Fido’s smaller and less developed immune system decreases his ability to fight off illness and adverse health symptoms, particularly when Fido is continually exposed to and in close contact with mold for a prolonged period of time. Keep an eye on Fido for any simp for any sign of symptoms that may result from mold exposure.

The negative impact that black mold exposure might have on animals was not clear to the medical world for a long time. In recent years, however, some cases have helped to shed light on the idea that black mold can cause serious health concerns to your pet and, in extreme circumstances, even death.

For example, recently a veterinarian in Florida conducted a routine procedure on two cats.  During the procedure, the vet saw some abnormalities when the anesthesia was being administered and stopped the procedure immediately. Both animals, however, subsequently died — one the next day, and the other about two weeks later.  When the dead animals blood was collected and tested, high amounts of toxins were present in the blood, the same type of toxins produced by starchybotrys chartarum, or black mold.

It is important to keep an eye on Fido when he begins showing any signs of mold exposure symptoms. The symptoms of mold exposure in pets can be very similar to the symptoms that you and I will experience when exposed to mold.  To determine whether your pet is showing any signs of mold exposure, keep an eye out for symptoms such as difficulty breathing, hacking, wheezing, excessive mucus running from the nose or eyes, and lack of appetite or disrupted eating patterns.  If your pet is showing any of these potential side effects, he or she may be suffering from an unhealthy and prolonged exposure to mold.

If the symptoms in your pet persist, make sure you take Fido to the veterinarian as soon as possible.  If you are displaying symptoms of mold exposure yourself, make sure you take all necessary precautions to protect yourself and your family and, at this point, it may be time to start testing to determine whether you have a mold problem.  If you do discover mold and are attempting to remove it yourself, be sure to wear protective clothing.

August 22, 2014 / / - / Health Problems